The following are the roles of the various departments:
Carry out Market Research & Product Development
- Develop appropriate market research and product development strategies, work plans and budgets;
- Implement trade, marketing and promotion programmes in the local and international markets;
- Identify and advise on market trends and growth opportunities for new and existing markets;
- Liaise with the Agriculture industry stakeholders, Kenya missions abroad, Agriculture trade organizations and associations on Agriculture and promotion matters;
- Monitor agricultural imports, exports and domestic sales activities;
- Guide and advise the Authority on product and market trends including diversification opportunities;
- Conduct regular market research including gathering and disseminating market intelligence reports;
- Advocate for the rationalization of technical and non-technical barriers to agriculture trade and reduction I high costs of agricultural production;
- Review and implement the market development strategy;
- Enhance the export readiness of stakeholders with focus on SMEs;
- Increase competitiveness of Kenya products in medium and low end markets;
- Enhance visibility of Kenya products through branding;
- Facilitate value addition and product development in the agriculture industry.
Provide Technical and Advisory services to stakeholders
- Organizing smallholders into production and marketing groups through contracted farming thus improving producer-buyer linkages and serving as a mediator/arbitrator.
- Educating and training growers on production, record keeping, harvesting and post-harvest handling especially for smallholders.
- Improving productivity through demonstrations on new technologies and introducing new crop varieties.
- Encouraging commercial farming and planned unstainable production to improve farmers’ income.
- Ensure timely availability of high quality planting materials.
- Capacity building of county Agriculture staff and collaborating with other providers in private and public sectors.
- Collaborating with research and training institutions to generate new technologies and develop curriculum.
- Initiating farm certification and accreditation programs aimed at promoting good agricultural practices (GAP) and good manufacturing practices (GMPS) and ensuring consumer confidence on food safety and quality assurance
- Supporting formation of grass root commodity and regional based farmers associations.
Oversee Regulation and Compliance in the sugar sector
- Ensure compliance to the AFFA Act, Crop Act and other relevant regulations and Codes of Practice.
- Develop and implement compliance procedures including regular inspection of agricultural products stakeholders’ premises to ensure compliance.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of a national product policy;
- Facilitate product standards development to harmonize and improve compliance across the value chain
- Ensure execution of corrective actions; and advising the authority on appropriate trade compliance matters f. Sensitize internal and external stakeholders, including Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) on the regulatory framework and facilitate its successful implementation
- Recommend for Board’s consideration, applicants qualified for registration in the areas of buying, importing, exporting, packing and warehousing
- Monitor crop imports, exports and domestic sales activities to ensure compliance to required safety and quality standards
- Facilitate improvement of overall industry efficiency by developing and promoting service level standards for critical activities
- Facilitate improvement of industry skills and competencies including small, medium and large industry players
- Develop and monitor an industry productivity enhancement programme
- Develop and monitor a framework for implementation of industry infrastructure m. Manage, develop, mentor and coach departmental staff and appraise their performance.